Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Chicks Part Two...Food Dishes

Since we've never owned chickens before we are learning some things as we go.

Like their food dish.

At the feed store I almost bought a chick feeder, but the sales lady said a small dish would be fine.
Cool.  We had a small container/dish.  Let me tell you, these little girls ate, slept and pooped all in the same container.  Plus they started to kick/scratch a lot of it out.  I tried a smaller dish.  They crowded and pushed each other out trying to be the one sleeping in the dish.  And there was crazy food flying.

So, I did what I should've done in the first place...bought an actual feeder.
MUCH better.  I did raise it and the water container up in a piece of broken brick.  I wanted to discourage them sitting and pooping in their food and water.  They still try to sit on the food.  Funny little things, I have a canning jar as the food dispenser and they try and try to peck the food out of that thing.

A few days ago we bought a used coop/run.  The man told us to dust their food with cayenne powder and put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in their water.  These will help them "make it" and be healthy.  They LOVE the cayenne powder and still drink like crazy. 

These girls are eating machines too.  You can see how much they have grown in just a few days.


No comments: