Friday, January 6, 2012

Healing is a Choice


Healing Is a Choice 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You From Making Them

By Steve Arterburn
Published by Thomas Nelson


Have you ever heard the saying, "Eat the meat and spit out the bones"?  This applies to this book.  Fortunately, there was more meat than bones.  I was pleasantly delighted and helped reading Healing is a Choice.  While I skipped through some of the "bones", many of the chapters had down to earth and sound spiritual guidance.

Here's what I liked about the book: the completeness of it.  By that I mean, it comes with a worksheet, prayer, review, etc. at the end of each chapter.  It can be used by ones self or in a group setting.  It was well written and easy to understand.  It had plenty of scripture.  It just really made sense and was basic enough to follow through.

What I didn't like: I really wished more of the scriptures were New King James Version.  Call me old school, but to me, that is almost always the best version.  While I do understand the need, to me, there were too many "suggestions" to seek professional help.  The Blood of Jesus was never mentioned as a source of healing.  If it was I missed it. 

This is a wonderful book for those seeking healing, emotionally, spiritually, physically or for those who want to be reminded of God's grace, and some of the basic principals of Christianity.

2 comments:

shelly said...

I'm glad that you were able to glean some truth from the book :) Healing is a hard road...one where sometimes it's even "easier" to stay stuck with all of those protective layers on. You're spot on with the blood of Jesus bringing true complete healing, but I think we also have to be careful not to stigmatize getting help...being guided in the right direction, instead of stumbling and failing on our own.

alamama said...

shelly...agree. the author just said to get professional help a lot.