Friday, October 8, 2010

Fill Your Tummy

What makes a man say "That smells heavenly."? 
This big old butt shoulder marinated all last night and cooked all day.
I removed the meat after it was falling apart,
added cut carrots and asparagus to the broth and cooked until done.   YUM!


 Here is one of my FAVORITE all time recipes.  I could eat this one for dessert.  I don't remember where I got it exactly...somewhere online.  I don't really measure with this one, so add the goodies to your taste.  You can't really put too much!

Sweet Potato Bake
Here I used 2 BIG sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked.  Drain.
Add brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and milk.  (I could've added more.)
 Mash and mix.
 Put into ungreased 8 x 8 baker.  Set aside.
 Topping...this is what makes this dish.
Melt about 1/2 a stick butter.
 Add a really good amount pecans. 
I have used too little before and the family wasn't too happy.
Mix until pecans are all good and buttery.
 Add brown sugar, powdered sugar, flour, some salt (too much here), and cinnamon.
 Stir until well blended.  If there's some butter on the bottom of the bowl add more flour.
You want to really cover the peacns.
 This is better.  You could even add more of the sugars here if you want.
 Top the sweet potatoes until well covered.
 Bake @ 375 for 15-20 minutes. 
You want the pecans to be browned and hard.
Wait until cool (if you can) and eat up!
I want another helping!


Don't forget about the GIVEAWAY in the last post!

3 comments:

Patti said...

The sweet potato bake looks just like the one I make every year at Thanksgiving...I got it from the Preacott coobook years ago. I need to make it more often, thanks for the reminder!
My sister-in-law just made something very similar to the roast last time she visited. They have a Puerto Rican guy in their church who taught his wife how to cook. All Sam knows how to cook is mac-n-cheese lol:)
Thanks for sharing!

Anne of Alamo said...

ooooooooooooooh I love commenting under Patti!!
aspargus, oh no no no
falling on ground
kicking and throwing a fit...
I don't have to

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

This is so perfect for this time of year! Yum. So what did you put on the pork?